Subscribe

Forum

Contacted by recruiter for advertised position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Contacted by recruiter for advertised position

Postby Dick Woodward » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Jerry:

The job description with the company name removed is pretty standard in the initial contact phase. Among other things, it is an additional way of preventing the contact from doing an end run around the recruiter (for contingency people) and it keeps the company name confidential. It is entirely possible that the recruiter has a prior relationship with your friend, and sufficient trust to revel the name. It is not uncommon that I get calls from recruiters asking for assistance in filling a position, and, because of our relationship, tell me the company name while asking me to keep it in confidence. So that's mot all that surprising.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Re: Contacted by recruiter for advertised position

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 am

Jerry B. wrote:Hi all. I'm a PhD chemist currently working in industry but looking to make a move to a different part of the country for personal reasons. I was recently contacted by a recruiter looking to fill a position that is a good fit for me both scientifically and professionally. Interestingly, a position with the same company and the exact same job description provided by the recruiter is posted on the company's website. Is it normal for a company to hire a recruiter for a position that is publicly advertised? I'm wondering if they are just providing a public announcement for legal reasons and are planning to rely on the recruiter to vet candidates or if the advertisement is legitimate and I should apply via that route. I'm currently leaning towards going through the recruiter but would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

Jerry,

Another prospect could be that the company has engaged a "sourcer" to be involved in their open need. They won't be paid a typical fee at all, so the "contingency vs. retained" thing would be mute. It would just be a company that helps H/R (and helps retained recruiters at times as well) on an hourly rate. It shouldn't matter to them whether you write the company directly -- if they are a sourcer, they'll still get their hourly fee no matter what.

Thought that I would mention this other permutation of the retained/contingency question . . .

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum