Subscribe

Forum

second postdoc position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

second postdoc position

Postby V.R. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Hello All

I completed my Ph.D. 10 years ago, but due unforeseen circumstances, could not go for a post-doc position immediately thereafter. I did my first post-doc job for nearly 3 and a half years and ended up with just one first author paper with impact factor around 6. Another paper got scooped. Which is not even barely enough to apply for any permanent job. Right now, I am working in a temporary job and the funding will be ending in 2 month's time. I am applying for a second post-doc position for the last 4+ months, and I don't even get as much as a negative reply from anyone. I do apply with carefully written cover letters suited for the position and research projects I apply for - sometimes, even with a research proposal (as suggested by some senior professors), but there is no reply. I wish to develop a career in basic science and don't want to work elsewhere.

Can someone tell me where I am wrong and is there anything that can be done ?

Thanks.....
V.R.

Re: second postdoc position

Postby PG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I am sure that several people will be able to offer advise but I will start things off.

First, what do you want to do? ie what type of positions are you looking for. From your statements in your post it seems like you are mainly looking at academic positions.

Second, if I understand correctly you completed you PhD 10 years ago and then did something not science related for some time. Then you did a postdoc for 3.5 years which ended relatively recently and following that you have had some form of temp position doing science for x months that will last 2 more months is that correct? When looking at this path it seems like you already managed to get passed the main obstacle which was getting back into science after doing something else for 5+ years.

Finally you statement that you apply with carefully written cover letters etc gives me the impression that you are mainly applying for advertised positions and probably mainly advertised academic positions. For each of those positions there are probably hundreds and maybe several hundred applicants which makes it very hard to get that position with anything else than a perfect CV with a very impressive publication record and it may still not be enough if they for example have a specific candidate in mind. Although I know I am repeating sommething that is often said on this forum networking is your friend and often key to a successful job search not only in industry but also in academia. There is a lot of information on the forum as well as in the tooling up columns about networking.
It seems like you are spending significant time and effort in your job search writing research proposals, cover letters etc. my advide would be to spend the majority of that time trying to network and minimize the time used for applying for advertised positions to focus on positions for which you either have a networking contact that can help or that really are perfect matches.
PG

Re: second postdoc position

Postby SRD » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:15 am

Most of postdoctoral positions never get advertised. Go online, find PIs you might be interested working for, and email them along with your CV and reference list. The more you email the better the chances that some of them will get back to you.
SRD

Return to Science Careers Forum