The R&D Manager: Esteemed Leader or Thankless Job?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

The R&D Manager: Esteemed Leader or Thankless Job?

Postby Dustin Levy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:10 pm

In previous posts on Scientific Careers in the Corporate World, we discussed the relationships between R&D staff, Program Managers, Business Developers, Product Managers, and Sales. Absent from these discussions was R&D Management – what do these individuals do?

In some companies, R&D Management does some technical work, project management, business development, and product management. But, above all else, the responsibility of the R&D Manager is to organize and equip a talented pool of technical resources that can be drawn upon by the organization to meet business objectives. Some of skills required to perform this function are core managerial and leadership competencies, experience with budgeting, talent development, and a variety of other non-technical attributes.

However, in many cases, the job of R&D Manager goes to the best scientist or engineer, who may not be capable at or all that interested in the tasks and behaviors described above. This occurs most frequently in companies that lack a system for rewarding their technical talent for what they do best, and instead insert that talent into managerial roles. The net result is that these new R&D Managers no longer have time to do what they’re best at, and what they enjoy doing; plus, the company has now installed a poor manager/leader while losing their best technical resource at the same time.

Here are 5 questions to consider before pursuing a role in R&D Management:

1. Do I truly want to step away from doing hands-on technical work?
If your answer is yes, then R&D Management could be good next step, but adjacent roles in business development, program management, product management, or sales may also work for you. If your answer is no, but you feel that you’ve capped out in your current position, you may eventually need to look elsewhere for employment, particular for a company that can articulate how they reward and grow their technical talent.

2. If I wasn’t doing direct technical work, would I really want to spend my time managing people and budgets?
To be sure, R&D Managers don’t spend all of their time on people and budgets, but they do it a lot more than most people expect and may go through long stretches of time where they don’t touch anything at all related to technical work. If those managerial tasks seem particularly boring and mundane to you, some of the alternative career paths may be a better fit.

3. Am I comfortable sharing credit when things go good, and taking a disproportionate amount of blame when they go bad?
Because organizations typically ask more of their R&D teams than what can possibly be delivered (due to budget, resource, time constraints, etc.), people often point to the R&D Manager when initiatives fail. By no means do I want to paint commercial people as backstabbers, but they are often more connected to internal politics and better at dodging bullets from senior leadership when things go bad. At the same time, they’re typically skilled at stealing a bit more spotlight than they deserve when things go good. As a result, the R&D Manager rarely gets the full share of credit they are due. Combine that with the fact that every good manager shares credit with their team, and the slice of credit that R&D Managers get for themselves can become disappearingly small.

4. Am I willing to measure my personal success in terms of the performance of my team instead of my individual contributions?
With respect to the previous point, successful and fulfilled R&D Managers will derive personal satisfaction from the performance of their team, not from recognition directed personally to themselves. R&D Managers are measured less by their individual contributions than the R&D staff are.

5. Am I comfortable saying “no” to people?
Again, R&D teams are typically asked to do more than their available resources can deliver. Combine this with the fact that business developers and salespeople rarely say “no” to a customer, and the R&D Manager often ends up being the one needing to say “no” when no one else wants to hear it. If you never say “no”, you’ll overextend your team, fail to meet commitments, and rightfully be out of a job.

In summary, you should pursue an R&D management job when you’re comfortable with your own individual technical achievements and ready to shift your focus to bringing out the best in other talented people by providing training, coaching, support, and leadership. If your focus is on yourself, you may be better served staying in a technical contributor role, in a company who can properly reward you for being great at that.
Dustin Levy

Re: The R&D Manager: Esteemed Leader or Thankless Job?

Postby Ana » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

That's such an excellent post Dustin! and those questions should be considered not just by candidates to the role but also by those managers that recruit the wrong people into R&D management precisely because of the unclear promotion paths for scientists.

Postby D.X. » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:02 am

Dustin post is great and and is spot on with respect to the questions one should ask oneself.

Unfortunately as Dustin alluded to, the questions themselves are all hovering on an over-arching theme: are you ready to engage in politics.

The questions Dustin presents are not just specific to R&D Managers but really any function where there is Project accoutability and responsibility linked to leadership elements/expectations.

For example being ready to say "no" - that' not as easy as it sounds. One should not expect that one can say "no" and get away with it. Surely the next question is "why"?. Then it goes into negotiation. And of cource some Level of next Supervisor Level escalation, followed by a Meeting, etc. etc. Point being, the key element of saying no is learning "HOW" to say "No". i.e. off-line advocating, mapping of priorities in alignment with organizational priorities, strategy, etc. etc. In summary - a case is needed to Support the "no". The more immediate answer is more going to be, "let me look into it and I'll come back with a direction and proposal for the next step"......TRYING to get to NO. Or..Little joke here.."trying to get to YES".

Also putting Team above self. This is fundamental and is the external perception you should achieve in the organization -hands on agreed.

We say, "there is no I in TEAM". Yet, one should consider without the letters M and E "ME", there is no TEAM, or my favorite, you Need "i" to spell "individual". If you put your team first appropriately, then you will also get the recognition, but that Needs to be strategically done and of course, one Needs to know or learn what "doing it right" means. That's influenced by the poltical enviroment and Company culture.

Also - I wouldn't say a commerical function has more politics - in my expereinces R&D has just as much - and sometimes even more. Perhaps reduced more integrated and cross-funtional ways of working - especially in Pharmaceutical companies, but still politics are there.

So to add to Dustin's post: are you ready for politics? just adding the real world perspective - as underscored by Dustin's fine questions.

Also - apologies for alot of typos in my post - this is a function of a foreign Keyboard - linked to a foreign launguage on the System that is beyond my control.

Postby Dustin Levy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:49 am

Ana wrote:those questions should be considered not just by candidates to the role but also by those managers that recruit the wrong people into R&D management

Great observation, Ana. Having sat on many search committees, I'm always amazed at those who become enthralled with candidates' years of experience and/or technical skills, and ignore the behaviors and attitudes that good managers require.
Dustin Levy

Return to Science Careers Forum