Subscribe

Forum

F32 NIAID interim paylines

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

F32 NIAID interim paylines

Postby KML » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:30 pm

I applied for an F32 at NIAID that I submitted in May. I received a borderline score three months ago and am waiting for the interim pay lines to be announced. I've talked to my PO several times and have just been told we have to wait and see. Is anyone else in a similar situation or has been in the past that may have insight into when these numbers may be released? Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this topic.
KML

Re: F32 NIAID interim paylines

Postby Craig B. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:10 pm

The 2016 budget isn't done. The compromise that was passed recently should give us a bit of stability compared to the continuing resolutions we had been on since discretional spending is going up. That said, the exact appropriations haven't been set yet (at least for the NIH), but should be done in the next few weeks. Paylines should be more clear then.
Craig B.

Postby BMK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:10 pm

In general, wait and see is all you can do with these things. They get released when
1) Congress finalizes appropriations and NIH has their budget for the fiscal year
2) Then NIH has to slice the pie to dole out budgets to the individual ICs
3) Then from those budgets they have to decide what can go to new grants within each mechanism that year (vs whats already taken by overhead and ongoing grants from prior years)
4) Then look at the application rates to guess at what fraction they can fund
BMK

Postby RSC » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:14 pm

BMK wrote:In general, wait and see is all you can do with these things. They get released when
1) Congress finalizes appropriations and NIH has their budget for the fiscal year
2) Then NIH has to slice the pie to dole out budgets to the individual ICs
3) Then from those budgets they have to decide what can go to new grants within each mechanism that year (vs whats already taken by overhead and ongoing grants from prior years)
4) Then look at the application rates to guess at what fraction they can fund

BMK has provided a nice summary. In the end, it boils down to "wait and see."

I applied for an F32 (NIAMS) in 2012. Factoring in all of the above (plus sequestration that year), it took a total of THIRTEEN (13!) months for me to receive a final funding decision. Meanwhile I had submitted a revision that was also scored, but once they figured out the budget they decided to fund the first one.
RSC

Postby KML » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. It certainly made the wait a little easier knowing that other people are going through the same thing. They did post the pay lines, and I made that cut. Now we are waiting on the administrative review to see if they will issue a notice of award. Looking more positive at this point:)
KML

Return to Science Careers Forum