Subscribe

Forum

MSL Question

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

MSL Question

Postby Nate W. » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 am

Hi Everyone,

I have quick question(s) about medical affairs. Periodically, I have explored different options in medical affairs given my background in pharmacology and oncology. I have noticed that when I network through sales representatives, I almost always get a mean spirited or jealously like response. The representatives never forward my resume to the regional director of medical affairs; however, when I approach a MSL who was previously a scientist or the director himself, I get a more favorable response.

The representatives always lecture me on why I am not qualified and tell me the shortcomings in my scientific background, especially if I don't know them personally. My question is has the industry used MSLs to replace traditional sales representatives?

What is an efficient way to connect with regional MSL directors (hiring managers)?
Nate W.

Re: MSL Question

Postby D.X. » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 am

I'll answer the questions as received.

1. Has industry used MSLs to replace traditional sales Forces?

Answer: A Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, they were used to support Sales Forces and were even part of a Sales reporting line. Fast Forward to today with a few laws in place and the answer is a pure NO.

I would recommend we kill any further discussion about MSLs replacing Sales Representatives. That's dead in the water, not true, and not correct. Today, in 2015, the role of the MSL is well defined, established, and separate from Sales. Their objectives are separate, tactics are different and measures are different. Just because they are field-staff does not mean they replace Sales or KAMs, or any Sales-driven function - irrespective of history. Dead in the water discussion that serves no benefit. The US Laws has spoken here very clearly. No one considers CRAs as Sales and they are field staff too, with a clearly differentiated role/objectives just like MSLs or Sales Reps.

2. How to connect with MSL directors:

Answer: Either via a MSL or MSL Director, not necessarily by sales. Linkedin can work. In genearal a Sales Rep will not have a meaningful relationship with a MSL Director beyond a causual conversation at a Congress Booth (maybe) or some big internal Meeting (bigger maybe). In General they will not have a relationship that is professionally (or socially) relevant.See Point about Laws (aka compliance as Major influencing factor here). Again - in General so don't waste much time.

Hope I was clear and helpful, just don't waste time on those discussions or dwell on MSL vs. Sales. This is 2015, not 2000 or 2005, we've moved on.

Cheers,

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum