Subscribe

Forum

Careers similar to ecologist/physical therapist.

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Careers similar to ecologist/physical therapist.

Postby Toby Warren » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:07 am

Does anyone know of any careers in science that offer services to people (e.g. being presented with a problem and having to find solutions to solve that problem) whilst needing little equipment to offer the services, so it would be relatively easy to become self-employed with that career (e.g. engineers offer services to people and problem solve but they need a lot of equipment to do this so it seems like it would be hard to become self-employed as you would need to open a large work shop and purchase various machines).

The only two careers I’ve found at the moment that match this are a physical therapist and ecologist as they both offer services to people (e.g. treating patients with injuries/ conducting surveys and impact assessments on a piece of land for clients) with little equipment needed and it seems that within these careers you can transition from working for a company to working for yourself easily. I would really appreciate any advice of careers that people know of that are
•To do with science
•Offer services to people/companies
•Easily able to transition from working for someone to self employed
Toby Warren

Re: Careers similar to ecologist/physical therapist.

Postby Dave Walker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Toby,

Your question may be a little outside of our expertise on this forum, which focuses on the science industry as a whole: life sciences, biology, chemistry, physics, and jobs supporting those. When you say you are looking for a job that has something "to do with science" what do you mean by that, exactly?

I am also interest as to why you have put such constraints on this question. Are you already in graduate school, or planning ahead for the future?

To strictly answer your question from experience, the only real "self-employed" jobs in the Science Industry are those that can be outsourced to one person, i.e. there are no freelance scientists (though there are contract workers, and temp agencies of course). The biggest would be consulting, with expertise in some field that is of use to a company, like marketing, setting up a lab or getting drug approval.

And FYI, a physical therapist usually needs a "practice" similar to any doctorate-level job in medicine. They also need equipment, and in my experience it can be quite expensive, or at least voluminous :)
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Re: Careers similar to ecologist/physical therapist.

Postby Bright B. » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:36 am

Toxicologist consultants are in demand and require only a computer to do the work

Environmental Scientists/Consultants are in the same bucket
Bright B.

Return to Science Careers Forum