Subscribe

Forum

Post-Interview Follow-up Etiquette for the Company

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Post-Interview Follow-up Etiquette for the Company

Postby Nate W. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is a follow-up on an earlier post. It has been eight weeks now since I interviewed for a sales position. This position was submitted by a recruiter contracted with the company. Neither I nor the recruiter have been provided any information about their decision. The hiring manager told me that they would make their decision within a week after the interview and that they would like someone to start at the first of the year. So far, I have interviewed with ten people, paid $200 in travel costs w/o reimbursement, traveled across the country, and spent about 120 hours in regards to this one position.

Earlier in the year, an in-house recruiter, was emailing me about leads for a position that I was qualified for based on LinkedIn profiles but never asked me about my candidacy. Also, I applied for a teaching position in which the position was left open for one year w/o any post interview decision. I had to contact the Dean to find out they never obtained funding for the position. Does anyone out their have any manners and actually do what they say they are going to do?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10820

Questions:

1) At what point in the post-interview silence, do you call into question the decision making ability and competence of the group?

2) Anyone heard of a company not following up with their interviewees and never making a decision?

3) If you were a scientist interested in making a capital purchase costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and you were met with 8 weeks of silence after a sales request, would you buy the instrument elsewhere like a competitor?

4) How can candidates find a job when companies behave like this?

5) Should I insist that my travel money be paid?

6) Would you have concerns about this company and manager if they offered you the job several months for now?
Nate W.

Re: Post-Interview Follow-up Etiquette for the Company

Postby Ana » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Nate,

The company silence after 8 weeks (!!) is after you followed up with them or are you just waiting for them to contact you? if they have ignored your contacts for two months then that looks quite bad, at the very least they should tell you they are not ready to make a decision yet because they are interviewing other candidates, or that the hiring manager is on medical leave or that they already made an offer and thank you so much for your interest. Those are all some examples of reasons why they might not have contacted you but you should have certainly followed up much sooner.

No, I wouldn’t jump into all of those conclusions that you list just because I don’t hear from them. You don’t have enough information to know what has happened, and it seems that you don’t have it because you haven’t asked for it but please correct me if you have indeed followed up only to hear nothing from them. It seems there are two faults here, them not following up with you and you not following up with them.

The travel cost reimbursement is a topic completely unrelated to the interview outcome or decision delays, either you had agreed you would be reimbursed or you hadn’t, in which case you might of course enquire about a possibility for reimbursement.
Ana

Postby Nate W. » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi Ana,

It was about eight weeks after the interview on November 15. One interviewer did acknowledge my thank you email about three weeks ago. Yesterday, I called the hiring manager and he told me that I am still being considered. He just said the process is taking longer than expected. I didn't press him on why; expressed my sincere interest in the position again. The new timeline is 2-3 weeks from now.

I didn't know if following up was the recruiter's responsibility. Otherwise, I would have contacted the hiring manager earlier.
Nate W.

Postby D.X. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 am

That is an exceptionally long period to wait for Feedback.

In genearally the recruiter should be proactive - provided you've sent your thank you emails after your interview, i would leave it with the recruiter.

Personally, I would take it as a Signal to move on, it is not the best behavior of the Company/hiring manager.

Certainly delays do happen in the hiring process - usually linked to internal staff availablity, availabily of other candidates, and budgeting discussions. But they should be informing you/or updating you with timelines.

I agree with travel reimbursement, that is Independent of an offer, it does not influence the decision process that's the Arrangement.

good luck,

Dx
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:10 am

Agree with DX on this. You're beating a dead bush. Back off a bit, keep scouting and move your thoughts to new prospects.

What is most likely happening is the company is negotiating with Candidate #1 or Candidate #2 and you are bubbling in the list below that, but the recruiter will not admit it because he or she needs all the prospects they worked to find in case of an offer turn-down. I would just get that reimbursement for travel straightened out, and get clear of this "opportunity." But you'll only get reimbursed for travel if that was arranged beforehand.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Nate W. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:53 pm

This position was handled by a retained recruiting firm. Only candidates from this firm were considered. The company tried to fill this position on their own unsuccessfully. The manager told me they would make a decision within a week after I interviewed on November 15 and the person would start the first week of the year.

Dave, I thought about that. When I called the recruiter back, I asked where I stood in their order of interest at this stage. The recruiter told me only ten candidates were submitted and less than four were invited for an in person interview. I was one of the four interviewed at their corporate office.

I have a pending decision on another position at the end of month. When dealing with customers, timeliness is essential to maintaining a positive brand with customers and closing sales. A salesperson can't deliver on those expectations unless the whole team honors their commitments in a timely manner. With that said, the company has a great product, excellent technical expertise, and a polite staff.

Travel expenses are covered by the company and were submitted by the recruiting firm. It was clearly stated in the interview schedule the recruiting firm provided me.

Question:

What is a reasonable timeline on a position of this nature?
Was asking the recruiter for an order of interest at this stage, the right approach to take?
Nate W.

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 pm

[quote="Nate W."Question:

What is a reasonable timeline on a position of this nature?
Was asking the recruiter for an order of interest at this stage, the right approach to take?[/quote]

Nate,

Positions like this are filled in the average of 8-10 weeks. That's a timeline for the search and for the responses back to candidates after interviewing. Of course, some companies are going to delay a bit (3 months) and others are going to get it done in a month or six weeks.

The right approach it seems to me is to call the recruiter and advise them that you're moving on at this time, assuming that something has fallen off the charts at some point. Remind them of your reimbursement requirements and say that you are open to hear from them again in the future. Don't burn the bridge.

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Nate W. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks Dave. I left it open and the manager will let me know one way or another. Also, I asked if they would consider a FAS role if they were restructuring the position.

It maybe the Christmas break. Nothing gets done from Thanksgiving to the New Year. Maybe I jumped the gun; thought the manager would stick to the deadline.

I have noticed in my search and that others looking there is a trend towards longer follow-ups and extended delays in the hiring process.
Nate W.

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:10 am

I just got back from vacation. The only time that a recruiter can legitimately take a break is from Thanksgiving through the end of the year. You are correct that very, very little hiring gets done in this period.

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum