Subscribe

Forum

Is a graduate school transfer possible?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Is a graduate school transfer possible?

Postby Sumi » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 pm

I am currently enrolled in a graduate program in biotechnology in the U.S. (Previously, I had different undergraduate work and a degree in food sciences).

I feel I am not going to make it and want to drop my present college. Instead, I want to apply to MPH Environmental Science as I think it will be more related to my previous studies. I am confused - do I need to send my previous transcript from my dropout college? I took only one semester there and would prefer not to send it as it may harm my new application. (I did complete the semester though). Is my thinking OK here -- to keep this quiet?
Sumi

Re: Is a graduate school transfer possible?

Postby PACN » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Most applications are going to ask for all of your previous transcripts. Never, ever lie, and don't try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. If you don't tell them you are in school, there will also be a gap in your resume that will look suspicious and possibly be a red flag. Your best bet is to be honest-- you started a program and discovered it wasn't for you.
PACN

Re: Is a graduate school transfer possible?

Postby Dave Walker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Sumi,

Yes, you can transfer between schools -- are they both Masters-level degrees?

Do listen to PACN: you must disclose where you were, and explain it in your application. You can get around it with a simple explanation -- it didn't fit, you didn't like it, etc. -- and keep its relevance small.

Hiding it, however, will make it look like you are covering something up.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Return to Science Careers Forum