Subscribe

Forum

Regulatory affairs after postdoc disaster

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Regulatory affairs after postdoc disaster

Postby S. Banerji » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:31 pm

edited
Last edited by S. Banerji on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Banerji

Re: Regulatory affairs after postdoc disaster

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Dr. Banerji,

I hope you aren't falling prey to a paid "coop/industry post-postdoc" program out of Southern California. Stay clear!

Let us know more about what "program" you are considering for the one year transition. In my opinion, you should try networking before beginning some kind of paid "help."

Have you read the Career Tracks article about Regulatory Affairs on Tooling Up? (http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2009/09/tooling-regulatory-affairs-career-track?_ga=1.137974132.517311711.1449120041) Or, any of the other fine ScienceCareers.org regulatory careers articles?

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby S. Banerji » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:26 pm

The program is in Canada and from what I can tell it is reputable. There are several programs in the Toronto area and this is one of the two that are considered the best. I've networked a bit on LinkedIn and the response was that the program is good.

I do plan to continue networking now and throughout the program, but it seems that entry-level positions are hard to get without any experience.

I'm really concerned that my lack of publications is going to come up in interviews after I graduate. Thoughts?
S. Banerji

Postby S. Banerji » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 pm

I have read quite a few articles on regulatory affairs. I think it will be a good fit for my skills and personality.

I know loads of people get into it in higher-level (non-entry) positions by transferring from another area of the same company, but with my lack of publications I don't think I have much of a chance at those jobs.

The program has two semesters of courses with an internship in between - so I'll have some experience before I graduate. Toronto is the biotech/pharma capital of Canada, so my plan is to continue (I've already started) networking throughout the entire program. I'm just worried that the bad postdoc will come up again when I apply for real positions. If I have to totally change fields (go back to undergraduate or something) I'd rather do it sooner than later.
S. Banerji

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 am

Please tell us what the program is that you are considering -- second request. Thanks,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby S. Banerji » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 am

Hi Dave,

I don't want to reveal the name of the program because I don't want people to be able to identify me here. The program is very small (less than 40 students per class), and involves extensive coursework and an internship that is paid. I've been in contact with several people working in regulatory affairs in Canada and each said that it is a good program.

The concern I meant to bring to this board is whether my postdoc will hurt my employment options later on.
S. Banerji

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:05 am

S. Banerji wrote:Hi Dave,

I don't want to reveal the name of the program because I don't want people to be able to identify me here. The program is very small (less than 40 students per class), and involves extensive coursework and an internship that is paid. I've been in contact with several people working in regulatory affairs in Canada and each said that it is a good program.

The concern I meant to bring to this board is whether my postdoc will hurt my employment options later on.

I certainly hope it's not another one of these nasty "post Postdoc" programs, that (at great expense) "helps the Postdoc transition into an industry career." We don't need any more of those "Professional" programs popping up, that's for sure.

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby S. Banerji » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 am

So I'm not familiar with the programs you're referring to, but I don't think the program I'm considering is one of them.

It is not for postdocs - only an undergraduate degree is required to apply for admission, and the program is totally specific to regulatory affairs. You get a "post graduate certificate". I have actually seen "post graduate certificate beneficial" listed in adds for regulatory jobs here.
S. Banerji

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi S. Banerji,

To directly answer your question: your "postdoc disaster" may hurt your chances in ultimately getting a job in Regulatory Affairs. But it's not a deal-breaker. Since it already happened, you have to deal with it proactively: know what to say when it comes up in interviews. Draw on the positives of your experience, and how they can help you in a Reg. Affairs career.

To tie it to Dave's question, we have each some experience with "certificate programs" designed to help get a leg in a new industry. These programs can be of questionable career value. Having a certificate probably won't give a postdoc more of an edge in the job hunt versus other extracurricular approaches, like volunteering with an RA group or active networking/informational interviewing. This can be hard to see as someone without experience hoping to break into a new field. More or less, we have all been in that situation.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby S. Banerji » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:22 pm

OK thanks.

Have you any ideas for volunteer activities that would help?
S. Banerji

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum