Subscribe

Forum

Regulatory affairs after postdoc disaster

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Regulatory affairs after postdoc disaster

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi S.,

I can't help you with specifics -- I don't work in RA. Joining local working groups, attending conferences and networking events would be the first place to start. Have you done any informational interviewing? It's essential for starting a new career, I think. More info here: http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2009/ ... -interview

Your best bet is not to ask for RA members on general career sites like this, but to network directly with those working in your field of interest one-on-one. This greatly increases your signal-to-noise over the Internet. Trust me!
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby Nate W. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Try the regulatory affairs society called RAPs.

http://www.raps.org

They have a certificate program. Also, you can look-up professionals on the approved companion medical devices and diagnostics at the FDA website.

Curious as to why when someone names a specific certificate program on this website, the name of program is often deleted.

There are a lot of scams out there. I have seen online programs for things like:

1) MSL certificate
2) ACSP certificate
3) Online Administrative PhDs

Education is expensive enough let alone for PhDs. Candidates want to know if this program is actually helpful.

Are MSL certificate programs, the Keck programs, and RAPs certifications legitimate and helpful?

I am confident the RAPS certificate is helpful and well-recognized by RA professionals.
Nate W.

Postby S. Banerji » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:44 am

Hi Nate,

I believe the two regulatory affairs programs I'm considering are legit. I've communicated with 2 regulatory affairs associates via LinkedIn and both said it is very hard to get into regulatory affairs without the certificate, at least in Toronto. I've also seen them listed as beneficial in job postings (again in Canada).

I have never seen a MSL put any sort of MSL certificate on their LinkedIn profile.

The RAPS I'm unsure of - I've seen it on LinkedIn profiles of those working in regulatory affairs but not very often.

I'm not familiar with the other type you have listed.
S. Banerji

Postby Nate W. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:42 am

S. Banerji wrote:Hi Nate,

I believe the two regulatory affairs programs I'm considering are legit. I've communicated with 2 regulatory affairs associates via LinkedIn and both said it is very hard to get into regulatory affairs without the certificate, at least in Toronto. I've also seen them listed as beneficial in job postings (again in Canada).

I have never seen a MSL put any sort of MSL certificate on their LinkedIn profile.

The RAPS I'm unsure of - I've seen it on LinkedIn profiles of those working in regulatory affairs but not very often.

I'm not familiar with the other type you have listed.

Today, I talked with two scientific affairs directors that work in the diagnostics space. They suggested networking with RAPs professionals. One worked at Novartis. Both companies sell their assays internationally. So, I suspect that it is a legitimate certificate. program.
Nate W.

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:25 am

Dr. Banerji,

A RAPS membership is not mentioned by some regulatory affairs professionals because it is assumed that everyone is a RAPS member. That's the official organization of those who are in R/A in North America. It's an essential part of one's life if you are in regulatory. Their certificate program is extremely useful, and much more meaningful than other organizations because it is from the main association that people belong to.

Nate, nobody is dropping the names of certificate suppliers here on the forum.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby S. Banerji » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks for doing/posting that; maybe I should consider doing the online RAPS program while networking as much as possible. I'm still thinking the internship is a huge bonus for one of the college programs - at least you have some experience to put on your resume.
S. Banerji

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum