Subscribe

Forum

how to get a referral?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

how to get a referral?

Postby K.T.C. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:18 am

I have been looking for an industrial-based job for a while, the ability to speak perfect local language is the biggest challenge in the job applications. Someone in my network would like to help to be my referral to a company. i submit a brief CV to my referral, while i am still waitng, what else appropriate things i could do to increase my chance to be considered for an interview? thank you for sharing your experience or your advice.
K.T.C.

Re: how to get a referral?

Postby PG » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 am

Getting referrals from someone in your network is when you are looking for a new position a successful outcome of your networking efforts. Importantly this type of referrals and also other positive outcomes from networking (finding candidates for a position that you have, finding collaboration partners for a project or something else) is to the most part outside your control. You can influence the probability that something will happen but you are not in control of the process.

In a situation like this you can follow up with the person who referred you to the company to make sure that he/she has passed the information on to the next level in the process abd to hear if there is anyew information. Otherwise my advice would be to assume that you will not get this position and continue to network and look for other options.

I have seen people go into waiting mode when they have applied for a position that they thought was a perfect fit for them and then after some time getting a rejection note. If you do this every time that you apply for a "perfect position" your job hunt is going to be very inefficient. Hopefully something good will come out from your application but until you have an actual offer my advice would be to continue to pursue other options as well.
PG

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:50 am

PG is very correct. Number one is to keep searching elsewhere. Number two is to follow up after some time with your referrer, depending on how well you know them. There's nothing wrong with a follow up. In my experience, most people are grateful for it, because they forget things like we all do.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby K.T.C. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you for the reply, PG and Dave Walker. Indeed i agree with you and will apply jobs elsewhere. I am not really good at networking. I only know the internal referee a bit, feeling embarressed to need other's help, so i am thinking about to send a small 'thank you' gift to the referee. Would be misleading if i send it before their decision? or if it is better to send that after their decision? it is my first time to try to ask for a referral...
K.T.C.

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:47 pm

In my opinion, no gift is necessary, and it may come across badly: like you are paying them for help. Many companies actually pay their employees for referrals that end up as hires -- so there is actually incentive from the other side!

Also, this person may not be able to give a referral, so you must leave them an opportunity to back out. This is very important, too.

In the end, after you get a job (even if it's somewhere else), a hand-written thank you note would be more than enough.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby K.T.C. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:04 pm

indeed, so i learn from you about how to do it right. thank you, Dave Walker
K.T.C.

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:30 pm

K.T.C. wrote:indeed, so i learn from you about how to do it right. thank you, Dave Walker

Dave's advice was great, and I second his comment that gifts are unnecessary and would potentially be a negative.

I would also note that in the posts you made, you were using texting or "chat" language, and in all your followup and networking communications you should ensure that you capitalize your "I" and so forth. It's critical for you to be the consummate professional in your interactions.

Good luck, KTC!

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby K.T.C. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Thank you for the comment, Dave Jensen. I will take that.
K.T.C.

Return to Science Careers Forum