Comments on Cover Letter

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Comments on Cover Letter

Postby Ram H. » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and went through some of the older topics where people requested for help with their cover letter for post doc positions. I found the comments given as very useful and would like to get some valuable comments on my letter also.

Please let me know if the cover letter is too long or not concise. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

February 22, 2016

Assistant Professor
Department of XXXXX
XXXX, California.

Dear Dr. XXXX,

I am writing to you regarding the post-doctoral position on “Nanoparticle Constructs for Targeted Cancer Therapy” project available in your lab. I am currently working on my PhD thesis “High quality plasmonic nanoparticles for targeted imaging and cancer therapy” under Dr. YYY at XYZ University, Australia. Having been trained in nanoparticle synthesis and functionalizing them with aptamers and antibodies for cellular interaction, I foresee targeted nanoparticles as future of cancer therapy and would like to explore them for drug delivery and photo thermal therapy.

In my PhD, the focus of my research is to address two problems currently faced with cancer therapy: (i) To introduce targeting moiety that is specific for tumor cells and hence induce very less damage to normal cells. (ii) To deliver drugs and siRNA on demand to tumor cells without destroying the normal cells. For the first time in this field, I have developed highly specific “Aptamers” using isogenic breast epithelial normal and tumor cells as targets. This aptamer when conjugated with gold nanorods showed excellent specificity towards tumor cells while causing very less damage to isogenic normal cells. And this work has been published in Nanoscale (doi: 10.1039/c5nr07831h). I am currently developing this Gold nanorod- Apt system into a stimuli responsive drug delivery system for controlled drug release.

I certainly believe the skills that I have gained through my research such as nanoparticle synthesis, their surface functionalization and cellular interaction, designing them into drug delivery system along with thermal ablation of tumor, will provide me with excellent basis to carry out the project available in your lab. Given the dearth of safe and effective anti-cancer agents currently available in translational research, these targeted nanoparticles represent an exciting prospect. My vision is to close the gap in translating these targeted nanoparticles into patient care through my future research. Sure I believe, working in the research environment provided by your lab in XXXX would guide my research in more meaningful directions.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you soon
Ram H.

Re: Comments on Cover Letter

Postby Rich Lemert » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 pm

First, I trust you will understand that this forum is not really in the business of reviewing resumes and cover letters. If we were, that's probably all we would have time to do.

In general terms, though, I will say that your letter says a lot about you without answering the one question your target PI really wants answered - "What's in it for me?" He or she wants to know how his/her program will benefit from your presence. Your background may be what the lab really needs, but you're making the PI figure this out by having to read between the lines.

Figure out what problems the PI would like to solve, describe his/her needs as you see them, and explain why you are the solution.
Rich Lemert

Re: Comments on Cover Letter

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:19 am

Yes, I agree with Rich.

This is the wrong place to post this and additional requests for CV's and Letter reviews on the forum itself will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding,

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum