Subscribe

Forum

Another PhD in abroad India or Post doc in India

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Another PhD in abroad India or Post doc in India

Postby Jaganmoy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:06 am

Hi all, I'm Jaganmoy, currently I am a PhD student in India.

My advisor is not pleased with me as I had some arguments with her upon my work as I counteract her beliefs and gut feelings, and from then on she thinks I am arrogant. She asked me to write my thesis to submit and go off the lab. She is not allowing me any new experiments and though my work is not sufficient and satisfactory to get a PhD degree -- but as the thesis examiners are her friends, she told me she will manage my degree anyway. She also confirms that either she would not provide me any reference letter or if she must write, she will write really a bad one for me.

Well, I confess that scares me. I feel as a Phd student my training is not enough and as for publication i have a second authorship in a 4.4IF journal and will get a first author paper with about 2IF. Now I am confused about what should I plan next. I want to be an independent scientist in the future. I am currently 30 yrs of age.

I am confused -- what should I do now to make my dream real? In India, we need some good papers and some good postdoc experiences from abroad. Should I go for another PhD in Germany to train myself better to then get a nice post doc abroad? Or should I try to join a lab in India for 1 or 2 years to get experience and then try to go abroad for another postdoc. Please suggest what would be the best way to succeed in my dream to be an independent researcher in bioscience?

[Edited by moderator to remove texting language]
Jaganmoy

Re: Another PhD in abroad India or Post doc in India

Postby P.C. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:20 am

Emergency Eject!
Emergency Eject yourself from a useless association!

Departments give PhDs. At the minimum find another advisor and another project yesterday. You comments indicate your advisor is and will sabotage your career before it gets started. Time to really reconsider
why you are there, and what your prospects are.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
P.C.

Postby D. Martin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:50 pm

well without a good recommendation letter it will be hard to get into a PhD or PD... Assuming you solve that issue, I will recommend a PhD in europe (only 3 yrs) and a PD afterwords. That is assuming you want a faculty position in Europe or USA/Canada. In my experience, very few PhDs from third world countries get faculty positions in USA/Europe/Canada. It all comes down to what and where you want to fulfill your dream.
D. Martin

Postby Jaganmoy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks for your suggestion. The point is I can manage recommendations from my MSc department professor. And my current PhD supervisor will not give any recommendation letter. Will that be enough? And would 2nd PhD helpful to apply for tenured position, after 2-3 years of PD experience? or is there any difficulties to apply my 2nd PhD in Europe? as I have done one already or is there any age restriction for PhD, PD and tenured jobs?
Jaganmoy

Postby D. Martin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:19 pm

I am not sure how to answer. If I review your application, I will be curious to know why you do not have a letter from your PhD adviser but I will still consider your application (letters from committee members will be helpful). regarding tenure positions, it is hard everywhere. a PD for 2 yrs maybe enough (that was my case) but it all depends on your letters, publications, and proposals (the rest does not matter too much). There are not age restrictions for faculty positions. We are interviewing a guy (to be assistant prof) who is well into his 40's while we have some faculty that are in the late 20's. Some schools in Europe have age restrictions for PhDs but you can always ask them directly.
D. Martin

Postby PACN » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:59 pm

I'm not in Europe, but if I were looking at a PhD application from someone who already had a PhD, I would probably not consider it. I would not expect someone who already has the credential to stick it out through the whole program-- I would think they would likely leave as soon as they got a better offer (such as a postdoc position, which they are already qualified for).
PACN

Return to Science Careers Forum