Advise to become a referee for a PhD student

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Advise to become a referee for a PhD student

Postby JLH » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:40 am

I really enjoy the process of being a reviewer. I am currently finishing my PhD (5th year), and I would like to get as much experience possible refereeing. Ideally, I would like to eventually serve on study sections and editorial boards. I know that's a long way off, but I want to build my CV with this in mind. I have refereed a few articles and grants informally, but I want to establish myself as a good reviewer in an official capacity. Does anyone have any advice that may help me get an official offer to referee for a journal, grant, or even a book chapter? I appreciate all insight!

Re: Advise to become a referee for a PhD student

Postby PACN » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:54 pm

I don't know how universal this is between fields, but in my experience a PhD student would never be asked to review a paper in an official capacity. Once you are a more experienced postdoc, if your PI asks you to help him/her review a paper, you could request that he/she ask the journal to invite you instead (or in addition). However, some journals won't allow anyone who does not have a faculty appointment to serve as an official reviewer.

Re: Advise to become a referee for a PhD student

Postby Rich Lemert » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:28 pm

My experience is that getting opportunities to review journal articles is not going to be a problem. First, many PI's pass the responsibility on to their senior PhD students and post-docs to a) give them some valuable experience, and b) reduce their own work load. Second, if you're the corresponding author - or maybe even the first author, at many journals your name automatically gets put into the rotation to review papers on similar topics.
Rich Lemert

Return to Science Careers Forum