Subscribe

Forum

Is a GMP training course worthwhile?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Is a GMP training course worthwhile?

Postby D.Z.A. » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:45 am

I am an analytical chemist who has been working in academic biomedical research. I would like to transition to industry and there seem to be a number of positions (QA, analytical method development, etc.) that fit my experience with the exception of my lacking GMP/GLP experience.

I have phone interviewed for these types of positions before and it always seems that my lack of GMP experience ends the interview dead in its tracks.

There is no GMP training at any of my local colleges but I've found some training courses held by ISPE (and other organizations). However, these courses are only two days (and are expensive) so I'm not sure that they will be of any use to me.

Anyone out there have an opinion on this? I know the best way to learn GMP is to actually do it, but I'm not sure how to "break in" to the career path.
D.Z.A.

Re: Is a GMP training course worthwhile?

Postby PG » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:04 am

If I had a candidate that I had interviewed and the only thing missing from making me want to hire this person was a two day training I would make the hire and then send them for training.

When you interview your lack of GMP training should be known from your CV which makes me hesitant to if that actually is the only reason for why you are unable to move forward in the process. Pointing to the lack of something obvious is sometimes a convenient way for a company to say no thank you even if it might not be the biggest reason for why they are saying no.

Rather than spending yoru money on an expensive trainin can you get other feedback for yoru interviewing skills from someone? Either from one of the people that you have interviewed with or do a mock interview with someone you know (preferrably someone with experience from making hires).
PG

Re: Is a GMP training course worthwhile?

Postby Dave Walker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi DZA,

I agree with PG -- if you don't have GMP training, that should be apparent by your resume. Have you asked afterwards if that's the only reason you weren't a good fit?

It sounds like you might be making a career transition -- if so, then you may lack experience in more than just the GMP aspects of industry chemistry. This is something you can maybe suss out in an interview (or post-interview follow up), or better yet bring it up in an informational interview with someone currently in the field to get their point of view.

Finally, if it turns out that just GMP training is the reason you're losing on interviews, consider rebutting this in your cover letter, with an example of something you're doing currently that shows you could do GMP work if trained. As PG said, it's just training, and training is standard for every new hire across the board.

And now to answer your question :) Out of all the training out there, I think GMP and GLP practices are probably the most useful in a scientific career. If you're just taking them to get a better job, I don't think it's useful to spend your own money. If you think you'd use it regardless if you were ever working in industry chemistry, then I would consider it.

But if it's out of your budget, then the simple answer to your question is: not worth it (literally).
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Return to Science Careers Forum