Subscribe

Forum

Postdoc take home salary

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postdoc take home salary

Postby Dev X. » Sun May 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'm from Germany. Recently, I got an offer from NIH, Bethesda as a postdoc. I'm a fresher and therefore according to NIH pay scale my starting annual pay/stipend is predetermined. My questions are:

1. How much will tax deductions affect my take-home? I'm married, no kids...

2. Is it easy to get a job for my spouse? She is from Computer science background and working in the field of bioinformatics since last 6 months.

[Question adapted by mod due to requests that this forum not get into specific salary discussions]
Dev X.

Re: Postdoc take home salary

Postby H.L.F. » Mon May 09, 2016 1:33 am

I don't k ow about the job market for your sig. other or that person's visa situation but you can calculate your approximate take home salary by googling tax calculator. Use one that lets you calculate state and national tax.
On eg 50k you can expect 36k in hand in Maryland after all taxes assuming no deductions.
H.L.F.

Postby D.X. » Mon May 09, 2016 2:28 am

Just a quick note - talk to the Human Resources/Payroll department (whom ever is handling your contract).

You may be US Federal tax exempt for your first 2 years as the case was with my Partner (also from EU member state) pp to a certain amount. At least this was the case back in the early part of 2000s. You may still have a State obligation potentially. But ask payroll dept.

Good luck,

DX
D.X.

Postby Ana » Mon May 09, 2016 8:19 am

You might also want to ask the postdoc organization at your target institution. They will probably be able to give you an idea of the take home salary and the actual cost of living.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum