Subscribe

Forum

Can EU citizens get US postdoc positions?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Can EU citizens get US postdoc positions?

Postby Barbara A. » Sun May 22, 2016 9:51 am

Hello everybody,

currently I'm a postdoc resercher in Europe (Italy) and I would like to apply for a postdoc position in USA. Are there some chances for non-US citizens or non-permanent resident to be selected for a postdoctoral position?
Barbara A.

Re: Can EU citizens get US postdoc positions?

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon May 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Barbara,

I'll leave it to other postdocs to help you, and they'll know more than I do . . . My experience has been that people in Postdocs in the USA are at least 50% from other countries. I think our system here, for postdocs, is very open.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby PG » Mon May 23, 2016 3:21 pm

I am from a country in northern europe (within the EU) and the majority of my collegues from my PhD studies ended up doing a postdoc in the US. I think that all of them are now back in Europe again with I believe one exception and he is in Singapore.

Several of the people going to US for postdocs did bring their own funding ie they had some form of grant that they used to finance their own salary and sometimes also a small part of their expenses. Having your own money makes finding a postdoc supervisor really easy.
PG

Postby MFM » Wed May 25, 2016 6:43 am

From a visa point of view, doing a postdoc in the US is realtively straight forward for EU citizens (even if you don't have a fellowship). Usually you get a J1 or an H1B visum.
MFM

Postby J.B. » Wed May 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Barbara A. wrote:Hello everybody,

currently I'm a postdoc resercher in Europe (Italy) and I would like to apply for a postdoc position in USA. Are there some chances for non-US citizens or non-permanent resident to be selected for a postdoctoral position?

As others have said, I've worked with many postdocs who were not US residents or citizens. At my postdoctoral institution I worked with one postdoc from Sicily and another from Florence. Yes, there is opportunity for Italians to get postdocs in America.
J.B.

Postby J.W.C. » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:52 pm

In the old days, it used to be called getting your BTA (Been to America) degree and was considered to be extremely beneficial for future positions back home. Not sure if this is the case anymore, but about 50% of US-based post docs are not US citizens.
J.W.C.

Return to Science Careers Forum