Subscribe

Forum

Career change Advice

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Career change Advice

Postby C. Nelo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 pm

I graduated with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences and have been working in data management for the past 10+ years, I have come to regret this career choice but at the time it was the only role I could get.

I really miss science and would like to transition into a role that is more focused on knowledge of the drugs/disease involved in the clinical trials and being able to utilise that information. I would like something that is not solely office based as I enjoyed visiting the different clinical sites during my last employment. I've worked on various oncology/immunology studies through the years so that is my main areas of interest. I have been researching and looking at different job roles but struggling on where to start.

There are a few roles that sound quite interesting to me like a Scientific Adviser, some roles require PhDs and I was never cut out for that. I don't expect to go straight into the position I want and know I will need to take on entry level positions and work my way up.

I'm considering going back to do a Masters in Drug Development or something to do with oncology/immunology. I'm excited about possibly doing a science masters not only in the hope it will help me career wise but the fact I will be learning again. I realise masters are pretty expensive and don't always help get you the job, I do have the funds to pay for one if I sacrifice my savings.

Is there anyone who previously worked in DM and transitioned to a more scientific/medical role or anyone else with general thoughts?
C. Nelo

Re: Career change Advice

Postby D.X. » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi -

Without a PhD, i recommend you forget about scientific/medical advisor roles. Base that you mentioned that role i will assume you are ex US as that role is more outside the US (I am a former medical advisor).

You mention data management exprience? How about big data analytics? At least thats the new branding terminology for large observational (epidemeologic) data sets. If in Europe, check out the IMI (Innovative Medicines Initiative), its a large public and private initiative looking to identify and merge large outcomes datasets to understand disease progression snd intervention outcomes from many angles. The US is jumping on board with similar avtivities with large insurers (such as Kaiser Permante), govt (CMS), and pharmaceuticals companies in dicussion. See if you can get in the door here, i am sure with your background yiu coukd find something interesting that could even get to policy level actions. Take a look, see what you find, start with IMI and dig from there.

Good luck,

Dx
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum