Subscribe

Forum

How to request for an interview directly for an internal position?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

How to request for an interview directly for an internal position?

Postby Gloria » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi All,

I request your help for making the best move to get an interview. Here is the case. I am working under the President of a top university and due to funding issues, my project will not be extended. He tried to keep me within the team but due to administrative issues, he can't keep me for long.

Meanwhile, I applied for another position within the university. It's a collaboration between my university and another institute close by and falls under the office of the President. However, the role reports to the Director of a school and the director reports to President. I talked about this position to the President last week and let him know my interest. He explained to me about the position, who all are involved in it, and who is the hiring person, etc. He also asked me to update my profile with his name as the reference.

It's almost 4 weeks after I applied for the position and I haven't heard anything about it. I called the HR and they said it's still open and my resume is with the hiring manager. Since the President asked me to keep him as the reference,and also provided the details of the hiring person I'm wondering whether it's a good move to contact the hiring person and request for an interview? Or what is the best way to communicate to that person and let her know that I am really interested in the position, got their information from the President, and to get a chance to get together and talk about my qualifications?

Thank you,
Gloria

Re: How to request for an interview directly for an internal position?

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Here's another version of the question by the same poster, which inadvertently showed up as a separate thread. I am combining them. This is Gloria speaking:

"I'm in a tough job situation and I would greatly appreciate your take here. I am working for the top official (provost/president) in a university and the independent project I manage is nixed due to federal gov. grant issues. My boss has set up 3 months time for him to find an internal position for me (based on some grants he was expecting) and also time for me to get another job.

Meanwhile, I saw another good opening in the university and applied for it. Interestingly, that job comes under the office of my boss. I talked to my boss about the job and he gave me the details such as who is the hiring manager and what exactly the position requires etc. This is a new position created for a new program university is starting soon. Though my boss is not involved in the hiring or the functions of this role, this role will report to a director, who will report to my curret boss (provost/president).

Due to his top position in the university and the fact that this position report to someone under him, I do not think it's appropriate for him to give any signal to the hiring manager. However, when I discussed about it, he gave the full details of the hiring person. In addition, he asked me to add him as the reference to my profile and promised me that he will provide very good reference information should anyone conact him.

So my question is, is it ok for me to contact that hiring manager stating that "I currently work with the provost/president and he gave me you contact info, and I appreciate if you could provide me an opportunity to ge together and explain my skills and experience for this position?

I dont want to make any negative impression or using my boss's name here. So please let me know how to positively tackle this situation and also increase my chance to get the call for an interview."
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby PG » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:05 am

My advice is to treat it the same way you would if the position had been with another University that your current PI had good contacts with ie it is OK to say

I work with X (who happens to be the president) and and he gave me you contact info, and I appreciate if you could provide me an opportunity to ge together and explain my skills and experience for this position?

but it is not OK to say

I work with professor X (who happens to be the president) and and he gave me you contact info, he would appreciate if you could provide me an opportunity to ge together and explain my skills and experience for this position?

Also once you have your interview make sure that the interview is about you and what you have done.

Depending on the tradition in your country you may want to refer to your current boss as the president or something else. Here, titles are not really that important and I would have referred to the president by name rather than title thereby downplaying the fact that he is the president to show that I am not trying to take advantage fo that fact (except for as a networking Contact like anybody else).
PG

Postby D.X. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:40 am

Hi:

I figure I'd give a view, not specific to this Situation, but from the corporate pharma perspective, which may stir some debate as there is a political element behind it.

Of course the standardized, text-book protocol for internal positions is to 1. seek endorsement and Support by your Boss to apply. 2. apply via HR. 3. See what happens. Nice. Textbook. The risk, you apply without knowing if the hiring Manager knows you and knows you're interested and wants you.

Another way alot of us do is off-line inquiring and Exploration with near "offer" from the hiring Manager, before you seek endorsement from your Boss and a formal HR Approach. The political, but maybe more productive way with risk, i.e the risk is you get your Boss annoyed. But you can mitgate this if you know your Environment.

So the protocal here, usually you know a Job is coming (if you are connected), if not you see an internal Job post. Next step, identify the hiring Manager. If you're in a small Company, this is easier for you, probably you already know him or her. If not do your Research and probe your Networks. Use the internal Intranet. Approach that Person with a request for an informal Meeting and private Meetin re: the Position. Usually coffee or lunch. Does not have to be off-site, but you don't Need to advertise or draw Attention you're Meeting. Can be a conference room. But not in the person's Office if you're in a small Company.

Proactively send your CV before the Meeting and then meet, state your interest again and have that informal and informational discussion. That Meeting can have 2 outcomes. 1. The hiring Manager is interested or not interested.

If interested, you can have a Dialog to identify how interested and you can define whether, together if you want to go to the next step. i.e. If the hiring Manager is very very interested, i.e. you know you have a damn good Chance or even the hiring Manager wants you, you can then have the next conversation on how to handle it politically.

Either that hiring Manager approaches you Boss softly with an interest in you (with your confidence perserved, i.e no disclosure of private meeting). Or you can go to your Boss, proactively, and state that you did see the Position. You have to decicide bases on your political Situation if you want to inform the Boss you've spoken to the hiring Manager and have a "green light" or seek endorsement to apply without disclosing you have a "green light" from the other highering Manager.

Very political here, there are risks, but this is how alot of this is done in the real world. I've done this in recent times, in some cases, other highing Managers Approach me confidentially, in if you really want to get political, sometimes its done via message from an internal 3rd Party, (i.e. a colleage Comes and softly tells you that a Hiring Manager is interested in you adn that you should contact them).

OR..again depending on your political Network, you can relay a message fron one of your confidents to communicate your interest, so the opposit of the above, that's another way to appraoch and get Feedback, before you get to formal applications and processes.

So anyways, I figured I'd toss this out there for discussion. Political..you bet!!! Textbook? Hell no!

You can agree or disagree but this is what we're doing. This is more often tht practice and why some times, you're totally suprised when you hear a colleague has moved to another Position without knowing through the gossip channels. There are risks of course and you can end up in a bad Situation, so I'm not saying do it. But weigh it out, know your Networks, politics, and assess if you can navigate without being burned. Happy to hear any discussion.

From the real-world,

Dx
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum