Subscribe

Forum

Changing career track- inputs please

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Changing career track- inputs please

Postby Mel Smith » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:18 pm

I have worked in the preclinical drug development field in a lab for about 8 years. I have been curious about health care informatics, data science etc. How do I retool myself to make a career in this field and build on what I already know? I can easily enroll into a masters program if necessary. Thanks
Mel Smith

Re: Changing career track- inputs please

Postby PG » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:48 am

The best way of changing career path is often a stepwise approach ie is there any way that you can find a position either wihtin the company you are currently working for or for another Company that allows you to either directly work within the areas that you are interested in or at least in a position that is more exposed to these areas. Even if you tasks are similar to what you do now this may open possibilities for a second step in which you can move to doing what you are interested in.
PG

Re: Changing career track- inputs please

Postby D.X. » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi - PG is correct, the best approach is within company. One way is to identify those in the company who work the area you are intrested in. Have an informal meet and greet discussion with the objective to learn about the activities and functions that are done.

You may find bridges. Alot of Health informatics, etc is just a re-branding of data-mining, you may find mutual interest, you just never know until yiu talk. See if yiu can identfy a small project where maybe at first you can get your hands wet, and vo from there. Worry about other steps such as relevant training and education later. Just try to learn what yiu can now from a coffee informational interview with a stakeholder whom u want to learn more from.

If you are in a big pharma, talk to HR, many have programs aimed at fostering internal networks, for example there is Novartis that arranges 1:1 lunch meetings for employees from different functions (you pay the bill of course) but they send the calendar invites and set up the "blind" lunch date.

Good luck

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum