Subscribe

Forum

Article- reading too much into interviews

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Article- reading too much into interviews

Postby D.X. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:39 am

From a Job Seeker Point of View this is an highly important post as it pertains it keeping expectations managed and risk mitigating potential anxiety/Depression in the Job seeking process.

I fell into those "traps" when i was a Job seeker early in my career and I can say that many others who are experience and find themselves in the marker are also not clear on the Interpretation of that lingo that HR or propsective Hiring Managers use.

We've (experience Job seekers) all had that experience of Walking away from an interview Feeling as though we've nailed it. Exactly due to the lingo used in Abby's post. Then get the rejection and go into Depression and Feelings of incompetance, low worth, and personal attack.

On the other Hand if one's expectation is managed and one can understand what is being said, then the risk for those Depression inducing rejections or no-call backs etc. is decreased, not to say one is still not hurt or fustrated but at least one can still carry on and Keep searching, doing good on one interview does not exempt one from continuing a Job search.

with experience of course, one can also ask clarifying questions when you hear those statements, i.e. get a pulse of how many other candidates or if for example you hear "you're a great fit", you can ask a clarifying question back, i.e here is a two fold one: "where are those areas in my Profile do you think I fit and where are your concerns on not being a fit that I can address?"

Good post in Terms of Managing expectations by carefully avoiding over-interpretation of commonly used Statements.

We in corporate are expert in useing soft (dare I say cowardly), non-commital, often purposely designed mis-directing, language often aimed at appeasing (making you feel good/stroke your ego) rather than offending, aggreviating, or hurting a relevant stakeholders. Interview candidates are a relevant future stakeholder. So be attentive to that.

DX

DX
D.X.

Postby Nate W. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:59 am

There is nothing really new here that hasn't been said on this forum. People should judge prospective supervisors based on their actions not what they say or promise. When I interview for a position, I always ask after each round of interviews to the hiring manager, "I am thrilled about the position and feel that my background is ideally suited to help your team meet its expectations. Thus, I would like to move forward in the process and hopefully, I have addressed any concerns and earned your trust to move forward in the interview process?"

If they pause, they still have a concern and are undecided about you. Then you should ask them, "you seem hesitate about my candidacy; can I address your concerns?" Pause, then wait for their response. Most likely, they will tell what they are concerned about. If not, the interview is over.

This will help you manage your expectations and anxiety when you don't know much about the organization. Don't take it personally if you don't get the job because most decisions today are based on behavioral attributes and a manager's impression of how well he (or his team) might like you (not qualifications!). Some bosses are great and some aren't worth the effort. You want a boss that will appreciate your talents. It's all about quality relationships and trust.

Focus on networking and building relationships. If you do this right where you have developed the right relationships with potential hiring managers at your target companies, there will be a greater level of trust during the interview process and the managers will be more forthcoming and even more honest with you than other candidates.

PS: I am aware of Ms. Green's articles on LinkedIn and various general career websites. Several times, she has advocated on LinkedIn that candidates should not try to network your way into target companies and not to utilize the informational interview process (even if you have already submitted a resume). Her opinion is that this approach is not respectful to a companies' recruiting process. This advice contradicts the consensus advice on this forum. If you look at her background, Ms. Green is a freelance writer that writes about career advice and recruiting; however, she has no experience in recruiting, HR, or managerial experience. Further, she is not a scientist and has no experience hiring highly technical employees; not qualified to judge your credentials. In my opinion, take her advice with a grain of salt.

This is why you should listen to the professionals on this website who have significant scientific expertise and managerial experience hiring scientists in many different organizations and roles......DX, DaveJ, DaveW, Ana, RGM, Rich, and Dick.

Networking and building relationships, which is espoused on this forum, is far more effective in the long run. My hope is that candidates on this forum will follow the right advice than wasting time listening "so called career pundits or gurus." Talk to the experts doing what you want to do. There are way too many freeloaders and know it all's in the career advice and recruiting space that could care less about you.
Nate W.

Postby Ana » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:50 am

I think the best thing to do, as we often discuss in this forum, is to look for jobs before you need a new job. When you already have a job and are interviewing for other positions you are likely to not go through so much depression/anxiety because the impact of that interview on your career and your life is perceived as much smaller than when you are out of work.

When you are finishing your PhD or postdoc that often means starting to look for jobs (and applying) a full year before your fellowship or contract ends.

I think it is also important to remind readers that not getting an offer doesn't mean you were not qualified or that they didn't like you. In many cases the company/lab ends up with multiple qualified candidates that they like, and then they make the first offer to their favourite. It is a competition and most of the times you don't know who else is also applying to that role. So it is perfectly normal that you feel a good connection during the phone interview or even the face to face, that the conversation makes it clear you are an excellent candidate, and that you still don't get the offer. It is not that the hiring team is lying to you of using business-lingo to mislead you, they just genuinely liked you, and they liked Bob, and they liked Sally, and ended making an offer to one of them in the first place.

So being aware of that competition side of interviewing, and looking for jobs while you still have a job, is my main advice on how to manage your expectations when interviewing and not overreading what was said.

Ana
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum