Subscribe

Forum

Biotechnology Project Management

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Biotechnology Project Management

Postby D.P » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello Forum Members,

Before I ask my question, I would like to inform you that I have already referred the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10782&p=84015&hilit=Project+Management#p84015

Now, my question. I want to learn about good practices of project management applicable to the field of biotechnology. I came across following online course, Certificate in Biotechnology Project Management, from University of Washington. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has feedback about the course.

https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/bio ... management

Thank you for your time.

Deepa
D.P

Re: Biotechnology Project Management

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Deepa

I think you should ask them for some direct communication with graduates. They must be able to tout a few successful certificate holders who went out into careers and consider this course an important step on the ladder.

This is a respected Univ, with good connections to the local biotechnology community. My guess is that it's a significant decision because of the investment, but it is more of a sure thing than something cobbled up by some smaller independent training outfit.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby D.P » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Dave,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Before posting the message here, I contacted UW Professional & Continuing Education at the number posted on the link below. I wanted to know, how to contact current and past students of the Certificate in Biotechnology Project Management course. I was informed that due to "Privacy" issues, no information can be made available. Also, there is no forum (LinkedIn or FaceBook) where Prospective and Current/Former Students can interact.

I am interested in the Certificate course but before committing to it, would prefer to get feedback from current/former students of the course.

https://www.pce.uw.edu/request-informat ... gramId=577

Best,

Deepa
D.P

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:09 pm

Deepa, it would be highly unlikely to find that information here. Sorry we can't help you,

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Abby » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Can you search (google?) for the program name in Linkedin users' profiles? Doesn't have to be an official forum to use Linkedin- if you find someone, shoot them an email with or without request to connect.
Abby

Postby MCJ » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:11 am

Deepa,

I actually know of somebody (indirectly) who has one of these certificates and I do believe it is from the UW program. They work at the University of Washington Institute for Protein Design (IPD), suggesting they were able to use their training effectively, I suppose. I don't know any specifics, but you may be able to find them through the IPD website.

j
MCJ

Return to Science Careers Forum