Subscribe

Forum

Seeking career advice: regulatory affairs starter

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Seeking career advice: regulatory affairs starter

Postby O.E. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:01 am

Hello everyone,
I am a MSc graduate (Health Sciences) with some experience in ethical submissions obtained during my internship. I am actively searching for a job and want to start my career in regulatory affairs, preferably in pharma or medical devices.
However, I have some kind of offer for a project in a large agricultural company for the regulatory affairs position. The project itself is short (4 months).
My doubt is - if I accept this and have a fresh start in regulatory affairs but in agriculture, is it possible later on to switch to pharma/medical devices reg.affairs? Will recruiters/companies value this experience or it's not relevant - because this is agriculture?
Also, after this project would I again be on the beginning, searching from the scratch?
I would appreciate any career advice - from fellow colleagues. Thank you.
O.E.

Re: Seeking career advice: regulatory affairs starter

Postby D.X. » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:04 am

If you want to get into Pharma - I don't think this is the best path to take. But that's opinion.

Unfortunately Agriculture RA is not so connected to what you would find In Pharma - whereas RA can allow strategic elements, in Pharma you are operating with a well established framework - once you know that framework then it's like changing cockpits Between different companies - flying an A380 for Singapore Airlines would be nearly the same for an A380 for Emrites.

So I would learn to fly the A380.

Not to say you can't make the transition there those who done so but be aware it's not so easy - RA is becoming increasingly competitive and employers /recruiters will look for Pharma experience first and foremost - many will have a hard time understanding the portability of Ag RA into Pharma.

also be aware, RA in Pharma is different to RA in Medical Device - however synergies can be found there - ie a device for injection of a new drug or companion diagnostics (i.e. Personalized healthcare).

So cant tell you what to do and the above is my opinion - I am not RA but work with RA cross-functionally in Pharma.

DX
D.X.

Re: Seeking career advice: regulatory affairs starter

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:05 am

Why not just stay in Agriculture regulatory affairs? There's a huge future there. With CRISPR and other technologies coming on fast, there will be a whole new range of food-related products that will have to go through new and uncertain regulatory pathways, and people in this field will find (perhaps for the first time in this niche) a fast moving career opportunity.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum