Subscribe

Forum

Skype Interviews - More and More Common

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Skype Interviews - More and More Common

Postby RGM » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Dick Woodward wrote:RGM:

The in-person interview is very relevant and very important for those "home-based" positions. Those are usually in sales or technical service, and are client-facing positions. The in-person interview allows the hiring manager to see the candidate as the client will see him or her - there is no substitute for that.

Dick

I agree. My friend is currently being interviewed via Skype, and we thought they were on the final interview w/the CEO via Skype (traditionally a fly-out to HQ engagement), it seems this is the final interview however. He'll know more next week.
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby RGM » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Dick Woodward wrote:RGM:

The in-person interview is very relevant and very important for those "home-based" positions. Those are usually in sales or technical service, and are client-facing positions. The in-person interview allows the hiring manager to see the candidate as the client will see him or her - there is no substitute for that.

Dick

Dick,

Was thinking about your response again over the weekend, I believe we are coming at it from 2 different viewpoints, need clarification from you again.

My viewpoint wasn't from the perspective of the hiring manager, which I THINK yours was....

My viewpoint was from the candidate's perspective, ie, being in a field position does meeting the people at headquarters for a face-face even matter? The person is going to be in the field, reporting to their home-office.

I would think while it would be nice to meet these people, it's not a requirement because the candidate is generally only going to deal with these people via email and a phone.
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
RGM

Postby Dave Walker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

@RGM
A face-to-face doesn't have to be at the HQ. In my area of sales it's common to have them in the territory, sometimes even with a "ridealong" on a client visit depending on the circumstances. Training will likely be at the HQ or a branch office, however: field-based employees will regularly interact with their counterparts at HQ. And I think there's something about human psychology that really likes meeting face to face at least once.
"The single factor that differentiates Nobel laureates from other scientists is training with another Nobel laureate." -- Sol Snyder
Dave Walker

Postby RGM » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Dave Walker wrote:@RGM
A face-to-face doesn't have to be at the HQ. In my area of sales it's common to have them in the territory, sometimes even with a "ridealong" on a client visit depending on the circumstances. Training will likely be at the HQ or a branch office, however: field-based employees will regularly interact with their counterparts at HQ. And I think there's something about human psychology that really likes meeting face to face at least once.

I agree on the psychology, I always like to meet people I may be working for as an example.

As a field-based employee at most I interacted with product managers, tech support, and my supervisor, that's it generally.

I find my friend's interview w/the CEO via Skype instead of in person rather unique.
RGM

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum