Subscribe

Forum

faculty position after postdoc in the same university, is it possible?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

faculty position after postdoc in the same university, is it possible?

Postby J Ding » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 pm

I am applying an postdoc position at my dream university. Is it possible I can get a faculty position right after I finish my postdoc there? or is it allowed?
J Ding

Re: faculty position after postdoc in the same university, is it possible?

Postby Rich Lemert » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:17 pm

It probably depends on the institution's policies. Some places will have a policy against the practice, while others might be more open to the possibility. The best thing to do is probably to call either the Dept. Chair or the Dean and ask what their policy is.

You might also want to see who's on the faculty now so you can get an idea of whether or not there will be any openings when you're ready to move up. It doesn't matter what the policy is if they don't have the slot available for you.

Even if the place won't hire you directly from your post-doc, that doesn't always mean you can never work there. My PhD program had a couple of professors who had earned their doctorates there. They both earned tenure at a different school, then transferred back after they had been sufficiently "decontaminated".
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dick Woodward » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm

I think that Rich is correct. Many universities do not want to have their postdocs as professors (or at least until they have been "decontaminated", as Rich puts it) simply because they do not want to have people who all look at science in a similar way (in genetics, this is called inbreeding, and it is never good). The same logic applies to undergraduates attending grad school at the same institution. My undergraduate lab mentor (I did several semesters of independent research) wanted me to stay, but he was voted down by the rest of the faculty. PS - they were right. I went elsewhere and learned to think about different problems in different ways.

So - even if your ultimate goal is to be a prof at the university where you postdoc, it is not a bad idea to go elsewhere and prove that you can make it on your own, all the while maintaining your contacts at your dream institution.

Best,

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby D.X. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:55 am

Hi,

A bit of a different perspective. I've met a few folks in my time who did in fact transition from a post-doc to a tenured track position in the same university.

In general, money and thus performance talks, supported by a usually very influential PI that saw win-win in having that high performer post-doc on board.

That being said they folks i saw do this had super publication record, secured independent funding consistent with moving to tenure track and were well intergrated with collaborative projects (usually wiith co-funding) - some even get funding from non-government sourses. The win win for the PI is usuallt they are a beneficiary of the performance because these folks continue on projects linked to the PIs area of interest. So of the folks ive seen do this, they found themselves in a good situation where they were competitive enough to move on to another institution, but PI and faculty went to bat to keep that super performer with independent funding on board.

So can it happen? Yes. Is it rare? Yes. You have to be good so, personally i wouldnt even investigate the institution policy. If you are good, then things can be trumped by your very influential and powerful PI. Remember in academia, policy is usually more recommendation than absolute rule. If ever you get to a point in your post doc when you do realize you are super, excellent track record an on a path to being competitive for a faculty position elsewhere (ie you start getting requests for applications) - then you may be able to net something! And to be repeatitive, with your super powerful, reputable PI backing you up.

Best and good luck!

Dx
D.X.

Postby Ana » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 am

It depends on the country and specific university. In some places where endogamy is usual, oftentimes senior PIs will specifically create faculty positions for their postdocs, in a way promoting them to faculty without actual competition for those positions since there is no independent review. You end up having departments where the department head is the PhD mentor or postdoc mentor of most of the other faculty members.

As I said in some countries this is a lot more common than in others. And some institutes/universities have rules that require a minimum of 2-3 years outside that university in order to apply to a faculty job while others don't.

There is no way to answer your question with a global statement. The best is for you to ask someone at your target faculty in that dream university J Ding.
Ana

Postby J Ding » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

D.X. wrote:Hi,

A bit of a different perspective. I've met a few folks in my time who did in fact transition from a post-doc to a tenured track position in the same university.

In general, money and thus performance talks, supported by a usually very influential PI that saw win-win in having that high performer post-doc on board.

That being said they folks i saw do this had super publication record, secured independent funding consistent with moving to tenure track and were well intergrated with collaborative projects (usually wiith co-funding) - some even get funding from non-government sourses. The win win for the PI is usuallt they are a beneficiary of the performance because these folks continue on projects linked to the PIs area of interest. So of the folks ive seen do this, they found themselves in a good situation where they were competitive enough to move on to another institution, but PI and faculty went to bat to keep that super performer with independent funding on board.

So can it happen? Yes. Is it rare? Yes. You have to be good so, personally i wouldnt even investigate the institution policy. If you are good, then things can be trumped by your very influential and powerful PI. Remember in academia, policy is usually more recommendation than absolute rule. If ever you get to a point in your post doc when you do realize you are super, excellent track record an on a path to being competitive for a faculty position elsewhere (ie you start getting requests for applications) - then you may be able to net something! And to be repeatitive, with your super powerful, reputable PI backing you up.

Best and good luck!

Dx

Thank you! this is very encouraging!
J Ding

Return to Science Careers Forum