Subscribe

Forum

Should I go for a post-doc interview?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Hi,

I agreed with most of the advice/opinion already given. It never happened to me until the present place called for an interview.
I was told by an office staff point blank, "we don't pay for postdoc's interview travel expenses".
I am in my 1st year of a 2nd postdoc stint in the same institution in Northeast that tried to pull one like this on me.
However, I was told by some colleagues that it was not unusual for this particular institution to ask postdoc candidates to pay their travel expenses.
Infact, I was told that it is not unusual for postdoc doing bench experiments in this particular
institution(because they want PI X's name on their CV) to pay for lab space.

This was what I did when it happened:
(1) I told the staff, buying an airline ticket with about 1 week's notice is beyond my financial capability.
(2) maybe I would have enough funds to buy airline ticket in about 1 month.
I knew that I wasn't going to purchase any ticket if they are not willing to reimburse me.
(3)I asked for a phone interview.

2 days after I gave the above response to the office staff, I was called to arrange for a phone interview.
After the phone interview, I was told by the "Power to Be" that they will pay for my campus visit, if I am still interested in them!
To which I answered, yes.
I am now in this same institution.
My 2 cents.
Michael
Michael

Postby Kelly » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:28 am

"I was told that it is not unusual for postdoc doing bench experiments in this particular
institution(because they want PI X's name on their CV) to pay for lab space. "

see past kelly comments above the value of a big name supervisor

and

about paying for lab space as a post-doc: I'd like to hear a bit more about this one. Please clarify. We shouldn't pass these types of rumors if they aren't true and if someone is in fact doing this, they must have one hell of a CAS problem.
Kelly
Advisor

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:43 pm

Kelly,

I am not trying to pass any rumor.
Please, read my post again; I gave a detailed information about my own experience.
We all have trusted colleagues on Tenure Track appointments that we turn to for their advice/opinion on issues like this.
Their advice lead to my requesting a phone interview first, instead of defraying the cost of the interview's travel expenses.
I guess, you would only believe me if I can provide names, places, & time; sorry I can't.
Michael
Michael

Postby Kelly » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Don't panic I would just like a little more information on this. no names, I'm interested in this issue of charging post-docs for lab space. Never heard of this way to add to the low pay, long hours, lack of control post docs face. This is like the "go get me a stick to hit you with." And frankly I can't figure how that would fly/ out they could make it work from an administrative standpoint.

First, you might misunderstand. Lab space does cost money. Most institutions have a square foot charge. So if you have a big lab then you have to carry fairly big grants to cover the space costs. If you can't, well then they cut back you lab space to the size you can afford. The costs for lab space come out of indirect. But I have never heard of a post-doc having to pay directly for lab space. Has anyone else?

Let's look at the different situations:

a. if someone is a post-doc on an R01; then their salary generates full indirect (whatever the institutional rate is). So by virture of salary coming off the R01 the institution is getting paid for the lab space.

b. F32s don't carry indirect. Certainly no one would make a post-doc come up with something to cover indirect.

c. K awards have a modifed indirect of 8%. So every dollar that is spent on lab supplies or salary, the institution gets 8 cents. 8% is low; most institutions have indirect rates of 50-60%. So it would be good to know if some place is making post-docs make up the difference.

d. foundation grants generally carry 10% indirect so again institutions lose money on these because they don't get their full indirect. again, are palces making post docs with foundation grants make up the difference?

please give me some more details on this.
Kelly
Advisor

Postby Bo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:31 pm

Thanks a lot. I will not go there for an interview unless they would pay for that or I can not find any other opportunity. My background is not that strong: I am mainly doing clinical study currently, but most opportunities in usa are for bench people. The chance for me is very slim.
Bo

Postby KwangChul Oh » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:43 am

Absolutely not.

Stingy PI will harrass you in terms of money while you work there. No future there.
KwangChul Oh

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum