Subscribe

Forum

confused about career path

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

confused about career path

Postby Pinar » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:23 am

Hi everybody,
I am another person who is very confused about her career path. My situation is different than Heidi's. I have a Chemistry BS and Biochemistry MS from another country. I completed my MS 8 years ago. About 6 years ago I worked as a scientific tech. in a cancer research company. I learned most of the basic molecular biology techniques but because of my husbands' relocation I quit. I had worked only 1,5 years on that center. Well, technique wise I learned a lot but theory wise, I still have lot to learn. After waiting about 1 year I started working as a Research Coordinator in a hospital (in our new location) for the Clinical Trial of a new test. The project I was in ended in 6 monts than I started working part time while taking cell biology course to update myself. After working 2 years I had to quit because of high risk pregnancy to my twin boys. I stayed w my kids at home for 1,5 years I was about to go back to work but again because of my husbands' relocation we had to move to another state!! Now I am at home mom, my kids are starting school soon and I am trying to get back to work. I keep sending my resume but don't get any respond from anybody. I am feeling that changing fields very often destroyed my resume. I know if I start working again I am going to adjust very quickly but since I don't get any response from the companies I apply I started loosing my confidence.

Any advises will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pinar
Pinar

Return to Science Careers Forum