Subscribe

Forum

Interview - contact info

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Interview - contact info

Postby MKL » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:43 pm

I recently had an interview for a position that I thought was a good match for my background. During the interview, one of the hiring managers gave me his direct office phone number, which I thought was a good sign. I do, however, need to wait a couple of weeks while they finish all of the interviews/check references. My question is, why did he give it to me/should I contact him while I'm waiting. I don't clearly remember if he mentioned something about it being for after the hiring process, if it works out; he gave me the number in the middle of the interview, when my mind was focused on trying to answer the questions well. I am a bit uncertain if I should contact him in regards to how my application is looking/to answer any more questions in a couple of weeks, or if this would be perceived as too pushy.
MKL

Re: Interview - contact info

Postby Rich Lemert » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

My assumption would be that he believes in building a strong network, and that he sees a potential in you that makes you worth knowing - whether or not you're hired by his company.

I would NOT contact him to "find out how my application is looking"! That's going to force him into a corner that he doesn't want to be in.

You could contact him, though, if you come across something you think would be of interest to him that you didn't mention during the interview. For example: "I remember you said you were interested in XYZ. I just came across this paper by Joe So-and-so that I thought might interest you."
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Rich's advice is spot on. Having his contact information also allows you to drop him a note later, if it appears you didn't get the job, and ask him for some advice or commentary on how you can do better. Or, at a minimum, to thank him for his consideration,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby D.X. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 pm

Rich Lemert wrote:
You could contact him, though, if you come across something you think would be of interest to him that you didn't mention during the interview. For example: "I remember you said you were interested in XYZ. I just came across this paper by Joe So-and-so that I thought might interest you."

I full heartedly agree with Rich and Dave.

However becareful on what you choose to send if that is something you do actually find by chance. Ensure its is absolutely relevant and appropriate, in other words be smart about it. Its ok if you don't. If you think you're smart and if you do find something of relevance, then its your judgement. Be sure you can talk to it as an expert and you know the ins, outs, strengths and limitations.

Only reason I say that is that i did have a recent experience when someone reached out to me on LinkedIn for an informational interview. That person was a Post-doc in academia looking pursue a similar path to mine. Now the circumstances are different, this was an informational interview. The person had prepared some questions, some a bit odd but i relegated it being a naive academic which is OK and tolerable (we've all been there).

In an attempt to send something of value to me, the person sent me a link to what they thought was an interesting topic in my area. Which I appreciated in terms of I knew what they were trying to do, and I applaud they knew to take that tactic that Rich suggested, but i just found it irrlevant. They didn't really take the time to understand what they were sending me, for a fact i knew that person did not know at all the nuances, details, issues of the link he sent - no way he can engagement in a peer to peer conversation. So I didn't reply, i just don have the time.

So I'm just an informational interview contact in this case but imagine if I was a hiring manager, you've had a good interview with me, and you send me...for lack of a better word..garbage. Credibility gone.

In summary, it's a good practice when it can be to your benefit and not harm - be sure if you do send something in a case like this, you know it inside out and it is fundamentally relevant to the person you are sending it to.

Good luck!

DX
D.X.

Postby MKL » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Thank you for your insights and answers. In a related question, what do think about following up with the hiring manager to ask a couple of additional interview questions? The questions would be focused on requesting further information about the position (i.e., questions I did not think of until after the interview), as well as expressing continued interest.
MKL

Postby PG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 am

Similar to the answers above I am fine if a candidate comes back after an interview and asks an actual question that it seems reasonable that they are actually interested in knowing the answer to. Sometimes it seems obvious that they invented a question jut because they want a reason to Contact the hiring manager again after the interview process in an attempt to influence the process.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum