Subscribe

Forum

100 day plan ?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

100 day plan ?

Postby SCT » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am

Hi,

I have been invited to interview at a Biotech company. They have asked me to "prepare a 15 minute presentation, outlining a 100 day plan, should I be offered the role." The role is for Programme manager in an R&D setting and main duties include - line management and project management of multiple projects, all centered around the development of diagnostics devices.

Has anyone does this exercise before? Any tips/Suggestions??

Thank you!
SCT

Re: 100 day plan ?

Postby PG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 pm

I think that we had a thread very similar to this one not that long ago but when I did a quick search I dont find it. Its not an entirely uncommon question for program management positions or for management positions in general. I got the same question in an informal interview for a head of R&D position so it is a question that you may want to be prepared for when applyig for this type of positions even if you are not asked to do so in advance.

Your reply needs to be tailored to the status of the Companys program management. For example if this would have been the first time the Company hires a program manager and they dont have a way of working with this your answer could elute to your ideas about setting up a system for tracking the different Projects with regards to Resources, timelines, cost etc.
If they already have a system that they are using and that they like it will be more about details and for example how you are going to establish a relationship with key stakeholders and Project staff.
PG

Postby D.X. » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am

Hi SCT,

Looks like you'll be leading a team if you have line-management so you may need to talk to leading teams both from an admistrative perspective and from a leadership competency perspective as well i.e how you get those who are not your reports to follow and align to your priorities and objectives.

Is this for a GPT Lead role (Global Project Team) within an over-arching R&D program development or clincal development fucntion?

I'd also follow PG advince, certainly project management would be high on the competency radar as would say strategy development and operational develiry and tactical execution (enter project management there) if its a GPTL role.

If you're an experienced GPTL or Project Manager, you should be able answer this easily, just don't get lost in the details, keep it high-level and address the major buckets.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Postby SCT » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you PG & D.X

From my first round interview, it was made clear to me that the role of Programme Manager is one level above Project Manager (whom they also confusingly call Team Leaders). I already have Project Management experience - so applying for this job was a logical step up. This is a UK company, with its own product portfolio, but some of its R&D projects are contract based internationally. I was told that the role would start off as being approx 50% technical and 50% office based - but after 3 month period, main duties would be line management and project management. I can certainly leverage on my previous project management experience and keep the plan 'high level' - perhaps eluding to minor details if asked "how would you implement this?" etc. Other than that, I think I have a reasonable idea of what is expected. I am to present this plan over a 15 minute period. So perhaps no more than 4 or 5 slides - plain white background, clear large font, bullet points, clear headings - and no fancy animations either. I will align the points with the job description.

Thanks.
SCT

Return to Science Careers Forum