Subscribe

Forum

Should I be offended by my PI/supervisor comments?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Should I be offended by my PI/supervisor comments?

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:04 pm

I am a female postdoc just finished my PhD in UK and moved to USA for my postdoc at a highly prestigious institution. Although I have been going through major bouts of impostor syndrome, I have had some really great data since I started.

My PI is very very busy and I rarely see him. But I feel he thinks Im stupid. In my recent meeting with him after I showed him some great data, he said - there we go, she comes with her golden glow and does it again. Then he flustered a little and goes - do you know what golden glow means??. I said no I dont actually. Then he quickly says oh its an American term for luck.

I have never heard of the term golden glow meaning luck. I initially laughed at what he said but then when I left the meeting, I felt offended that he attributed all my data to luck or my golden glow.

Do I have a right to be offended here? Should I raise this to my boss? Please advise.
Samantha

Re: Should I be offended by my PI/supervisor comments?

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm

I've never heard of that expression and have lived here all my life. My guess is that it wasn't intended to be anything other than a "beginner's luck" kind of comment, which might be said to anyone who's just starting a new job. Said kiddingly, I'm sure, and not something meant to offend or to indicate you are stupid.

I'd come back with a snappy British saying next time. Let him figure out what the heck it might mean!

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Should I be offended by my PI/supervisor comments?

Postby D.X. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:43 am

Samantha wrote:I am a female postdoc just finished my PhD in UK and moved to USA for my postdoc at a highly prestigious institution. Although I have been going through major bouts of impostor syndrome, I have had some really great data since I started.

My PI is very very busy and I rarely see him. But I feel he thinks Im stupid. In my recent meeting with him after I showed him some great data, he said - there we go, she comes with her golden glow and does it again. Then he flustered a little and goes - do you know what golden glow means??. I said no I dont actually. Then he quickly says oh its an American term for luck.

I have never heard of the term golden glow meaning luck. I initially laughed at what he said but then when I left the meeting, I felt offended that he attributed all my data to luck or my golden glow.

Do I have a right to be offended here? Should I raise this to my boss? Please advise.

No not at all..we kinda used a version of that for the newbies in the lab who in thier first year were getting good data and in good favor with the PI.

We called them "the golden child". Behind thier backs of course! We'd whisper "oo here comes the golden child" and they'd show thier data while the PI's eyes' sparkled.

Yes..we're were like mean kids on the block, the old grad students and post-docs snickering. Enjoy it! A year later, maybe you'll be calling another that name or just calling them "golden".

We use similar terminology here on the corporate side to describe those in the so called "high talent pool" or in really good favor and politically good standing with senior management, you know like in the next year they'll be appointed like National Sales Director or something.. All behind thier backs of course! ...so enjoy it. Get use to it. One day you may not be "the golden child" or "have the golden glow" and other days ...you "will". And you'll definately be calling someone else "golden" some day. Don't forget to celebrate with the "goldens" ok?

Good luck there "Golden Child".

DX

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum