Subscribe

Forum

IMPORTANT MESSAGE about the Science Careers Forum

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

IMPORTANT MESSAGE about the Science Careers Forum

Postby Sean S. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am

After being home to this career forum for the past 14 years, we’ve made the very difficult decision to close it down as of the end of this year. On November 15, we will be closing the forum to new registrants. As of December 31, 2018, readers will no longer be able to access the forum.

As Science Careers evolves to serve a changing science community, we have been shifting toward providing shorter advice articles from our editors and from scientists with diverse backgrounds in the Working Life column, as well as an increased presence in the science community on social media. We will continue to offer a variety of free career resources including the job board and myIDP, an individual development plan.

Thank you for years of sharing your questions, contributions, expertise, and career advice. We hope you found the Forum a valuable resource, and invite you to connect with us in the greater world of social media on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Sincerely,

The Science Careers Team
Sean S.

Re: IMPORTANT MESSAGE about the Science Careers Forum

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:12 am

I really want to thank the terrific regular posters on this forum, and the great group of advisors who we've gathered to help on this site!

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby D.X. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Has been a pleasure to contribute over the years, hoping my advice and comments helped others.

Thank you Dave and advisors for dedicating your time to this venture - you have all should be proud of the ten's of thousands of readers you've guided and helped.

A final Good Luck to ALL!!!

Best and signing off,

DX
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks DX for all your help.

As an aside, the forum will potentially be moving to another major career site. I just got a call this morning indicating that they've been following it for years and don't want it to die and go away. Le's keep our fingers crossed.

Anyone with positive experiences from the forum, your comments here in return would be valuable for us at this stage. Thanks DX and all others,

Dave Jensen
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Walter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am

Thank you for everything. This site has been a blessing over the years.

Good luck to all,

W.
Walter

Postby A.I.C. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:24 pm

It would be a huge loss for students and scientists at all stages of their careers and from all backgrounds to have this forum and the wealth of information it contains completely disappear from existence.

This forum contains advice and stories based on the lived experiences of people from diverse backgrounds in terms of scientific discipline, career path and nationalities. It covers almost every career question a person might have in whatever field they are in.
Sometimes posts were very specific or narrow but that was exactly why I came to this forum. To read advice that is specific to my case and not the general information that you often find in articles.
Articles are nice to have because it's a packet of information that is edited and fit for purpose. This forum complements articles by adding color and meaning to the information: You get to hear from people who have actually gone through the experiences you went through and can offer advice specific to your case.
I couldn't find an article describing "virtual biotech" companies when I got an offer from one. So I asked about it here and got a range of very useful answers that helped me make the decision to join the company.

I've been reading this forum since I was a student (a long time ago). Some of us are/were first-generation college students and/or students from disadvantaged backgrounds or foreign students from poor countries or countries that don't do a lot of science. Some lived in states in the US that were not scientific hubs. Many people don't have the ability to go out and meet an expert and ask the questions in person. For me, and I'm sure for many others, this forum helped by giving us all access to experts and the ability to ask specific questions and get specific answers. So thank you to everyone who managed this forum and the people who regularly posted advice on it.

I do feel like this forum has looked almost exactly the same for years, which may have limited its potential. so if moving it to another location can optimize it, increase its usefulness and give it the visibility that it deserves, that would be great!

Is there any way people can help?
A.I.C.

Postby RSD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 pm

It would be a shame for this resource to disappear. If it does, I expect it will re-surface in another format on another site, as people will always have field-specific career questions. I have always appreciated the professional moderation and tone on this site, so I would like to see that continue if the forum is ultimately relocated or reborn in a new location.
RSD

Postby Abby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Sad to see this forum go away, but excited at the opportunity to move somewhere else!

I've been reading and occasionally contributing to this forum for pretty close to its entire history. It has helped me make the leap from a research fellowship to an academic tech job to a solid growing job in industry. As a non-PhD here I have appreciated the breadth of the career advice here that is applicable to everyone and I hope I've helped others on a similar path as me.
Abby

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:58 pm

Well, I followed you from the last forum to this one, so I reckon that I'll jump over to the next one too! Thanks for all you guys have done, and will do in the future.
Ken

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 am

Ken wrote:Well, I followed you from the last forum to this one, so I reckon that I'll jump over to the next one too! Thanks for all you guys have done, and will do in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments. Ken, you've been engaged on the forum for what must be 25 years. You started as a young scientist and you're now probably now one of those running your organization! Hope you'll continue to be around when we shift the forum sideways into another venue,

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum